Business naming is an important first-step for starting your own business. Choosing the right business name is easy for some, and difficult for some others. If you over-do it, business naming can become very time-consuming and a complex process.
It is important to have your good product or service backed up by a right business name. A smart name will quickly make your business the talk of the town and help you create the initial buzz.
Here are 13 simple do’s and don’ts that will help your keep your business naming process simple.
Easy to Say, Remember and Spell
1. Make your business name memorable and easy to remember. It should be short, easy to say and easy to spell.
2. Stay away from difficult words or tongue twisters. It is easy to make a mistake of forgetting this rule as you would want to create a business name that is unique and stands out in the crowd.
3. While naming a business keep in mind that good business names have positive visualization, the name you choose should remind customers about something pleasurable. The name should have a good tone.
4. Ask some of your friends to spell your potential business name. Many words have more than one spelling. Like the name Insightica, though it is unique enough the name can be spelled using site or sight. Let your business name go through a spelling test before you finalize.
Relate to Your Business
5. Create a name that expresses something related to your business.
6. Look for a business name that is flexible so that you can add new products or services without having to change the business name.
Relate to Your Customers
7. Use a word that is associated with something your customer will love. Find expressions and alternative words. Look for translations of the words and connotations such as animals, color, actions, people and plants.
8. Attract your target market by creating a business name that generates a sense of security or romance or adventure or excitement. Imagine the people whom you want to serve and see if your name appeals to them.
9. While naming your business use trendy names carefully as many trends become out dated quickly.
10. The business name should convey expertise, value and exclusivity of the product or service you have developed, and above all, create the right marketing recall.
Prepare for Web Presence
11. If your business requires a web presence, find out if the domain name is available. Register the name as soon as you finalize, even if you do not plan to create the website anytime soon.
12. Check the meanings in a few different languages and make sure it is not unpleasant or distasteful.
13. Spend some time to research if any other business is using it. Once you finalize a business name, protect it by registering the name with your local county or state office.
Although business naming may seem like a complicated process, it is very essential to get it right. The right name establishes the initial connect between the business and its consumers.
The first impression consumers get from the business name will indeed affect how a business will perform in future.